Sunday 16 January 2011

Albums 16-20

It has been harder to fit in time to listen to albums this week, but have managed it. Having an ipod does make it a little easier, especially whilst I was away.

Album 16 Ludovico Einaudi - I Giorni
This is  a beautiful album and so relaxing. I will not put this on the growing pile of 'listened to' albums. It is gentle and slightly melancholy, uncomplicated and beautiful. Lovely, lovely piano music.

Album 17 Dire Straits  - Brothers In Arms
An old favourite and one which has been listened to many many times, but didn't really enjoy it when I listened to it on Monday night. In fact probably would have put a different album on if I hadn't been listening to an album a day.

Album 18  The best of Satie
I bought this to replace the albums which I no longer had after my divorce. Some tracks are now very well known, although when I first heard this  music it was in 1976 after having been to see Bob Marley in Leeds. GYmnopedies and Gnossiennes are so beautifil.Some tracks are less pleasing and enter my category of  'too plinky plonky'.

Album 19 Chick Corea - Expressions
A night a Ronnie Scotts and it had to be a Jazz album. I really enjoyed the evening but it was great to listen to some terrific jazz again. Love Monk's Mood and Someone to Watch Over Me.

Album 20 Cold Play  X&Y
Anther album that i haven't listened to for ages.

My favourite album from this collection is Ludovico Einaudi - I Giorni, with some for the tracks from Satie.
I have realised that so much of what I listen to reflects my life, my friendships, good concerts and adventures. The muisc emotionally connects with one's history but some music is a total joy in its own right. There are certain moments when some lovely music jars and creates disharmoney. Some music slips into the distance - a forgotten friend. Finding it again brings total joy.

1 comment:

  1. Anne, you mentioned about finding a forgotten friend. Music so is like that. I haven't thought of it like that until your thought on the matter. I used to have Lou Reed sing to me hour after hour (yeah had one of the record players that would replay the album over and over). I was really lost for a time at Uni. And he was my best friend. Singing me songs about his life. The one I was experiencing. Not good. But also singing songs about the life I wanted. I am sure I mentioned this album recently to you. But Lou Reed stands in front of me these days singing to me when I play this life-affirming album. It so lifts me... I love the tunes and lyrics and delivery by him. And I love the memories of him getting me through some tough times. My friend. Lou Reed. The album was "Transformer".

    ReplyDelete